Virtual Tour Guidelines & Registration
- Each teacher needs to register for their own class, please do not schedule for others.
- Encourage students to participate! The experience is best when students engage with museum educators and one another through the chat function and/or through spoken discussion.
- Be respectful of yourself and others, both when speaking aloud and typing in the chat.
- Students will enter the tour on mute.
Due to the interactive nature of this experience, virtual school tours are intended for classes of 30 or fewer students watching together, on individual devices, or remotely from their homes. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or questions about virtual capacity.
- Minimum of one adult chaperone is required for your Virtual Field Trip.
- Chaperones may be a teacher, para-professional, parent, or other school staff member.
- Chaperones help monitor chat appropriateness, assist students with technology issues, and encourage participation and respectful behavior.
- Ask chaperones to identify themselves by hovering over their displayed name in the participants list and clicking “Rename”. Example: Name, chaperone.
Technical Requirements for Live Virtual Tour Experiences
Option 1 In-person class with a smartboard or digital projector including a computer with camera, microphone, and internet connection. It’s best if computer audio is connected to speakers to allow the entire classroom to hear the museum’s educators.
Option 2 In-person class with individual devices connected to the internet and headsets for each student.
Option 3 Remote (at home) each student will need a device connected to the internet to participate via Zoom’s chat feature and/or through audio/video conversation.
How We Connect
Virtual Tours are shared via Zoom. Other platforms will be considered but must be requested in the notes of your initial order and require additional steps to arrange.
One week before your scheduled Live Virtual Tour: A Zoom link and password will be included in an email with information about how to connect with us via Zoom at the scheduled date and time.
Day of scheduled Live Virtual Tour: Click the Zoom link to connect 5-10 minutes before the scheduled start time of the Live Virtual Tour:
If students are working remotely, share the link with each of them and all chaperones. If this is the first time using the Zoom platform, a link will prompt you to install the free software. Installation should take less than two minutes and does not require the creation of a zoom account. If students are working remotely please have them login earlier to allow time for download if needed.
Projecting the Virtual Tour to Students On-Site in the Classroom
- Please have the camera set so the docents/educators may see the students.
- Some computer microphones are more sensitive than others, the docents/educators may or may not be able to hear verbal responses from your students. If the docents are unable to hear the students, please position yourself closer to the computer to help call on students and relay their comments verbally.
- Each tour has sections that allow students to choose the objects they wish to discuss. Students will be asked to vote on the objects they want to investigate by raising their hands for each option. Teachers will need to count the number of hands and tell the docent which objects receive the majority of votes.
A test call is not required if you have used Zoom. If you are a new user or would prefer a test call, please check the box on the request form. The test call will be scheduled separately via email and should take no more than 3-5 minutes. Test calls are scheduled at 3:45 pm.
Due to scheduled events we may not be able to extend your Live Virtual Tour. Please have everyone ready to begin 3-5 minutes before your confirmed, scheduled time.
Cancellations and Changes
To cancel or make a change to your scheduled Live Virtual Tour, please email email@example.com. Please include your name, phone number, order number, name of school, and date and time of your scheduled tour. Cancellations are requested at least 48 hours before your scheduled event.
All changes to date, time and tour will require the cancellation of your scheduled event and a new request to be submitted via the Virtual Tour Request form, requiring at least three weeks advance submittal for a new date.
For additional information please email firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to meeting and learning with you!
By clicking “REGISTER” you acknowledge you have read and agree to the guidelines above. Registration will begin on the next page.