Title I Resources
The School and Educator Programs department facilitates learning experiences inspired by art objects. The museum works with students and educators to build a culture of curiosity through observation, critical thinking, empathy, creativity, and collaboration.
Schoolwide Title I schools in the greater Kansas City metropolitan area are eligible for The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art’s Incentive Grant Program. The Incentive Grant Program provides a $200 stipend to offset trip expenses and underwrites School Workshop fees for classified schoolwide Title I schools in Missouri and Kansas. School Tours are always free at the museum.
Funding for the Incentive Grant Program is provided by the Louetta M. Cowden Foundation, Bank of America, trustee; the Breidenthall-Snyder Foundation; the Frank and Margaret McGee Fund, Commerce Bank, Greater Kansas City Community Foundation; and the Oppenstein Brothers Foundation.
Incentive Grant Program
The Incentive Grant Program provides assistance to schoolwide Title I schools for pre-K through 12th grade visits to The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art.
If your school has been classified as a schoolwide Title I school in the Kansas City metropolitan area, your school may be eligible to receive underwritten workshop fees and a $200 stipend to offset trip expenses. School tours are always free at the Nelson-Atkins.
If you believe your school has been left off the list in error, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 25 student minimum is needed in order to receive Incentive Grant funding. Maximum group size depends on the individual tour and workshop.
- Incentive Grant funded workshops and tours are scheduled September through May.
- Incentive Grant Funded workshops and tours must be scheduled at least three weeks in advance.
- School workshop fees ($7 per student) are funded. Tours are free at The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, including school tours of special exhibitions.
- The school’s W9 must be on file before the $200 stipend can be remitted. Schools are responsible for ensuring that the Nelson-Atkins has this documentation. Send a copy of the school’s W9 to email@example.com.
- Schools are responsible for scheduling their own transportation and promptly remitting payment. The museum cannot accept forwarded bus invoices.
- The $200 stipend to offset trip-related expenses is mailed to the attention of the school’s principal after the completion of the visit. Please allow up to four weeks to receive the check.
Scheduling an Incentive Grant Funded School Tour or Workshop
- School Tours and School Workshops are offered on a first-come, first-served basis.
- School Tours and School Workshops must be scheduled at least three weeks in advance.
- A final confirmation email with visit details will be sent to the contact name provided in the registration.
- The museum’s online registration system does NOT prompt you to indicate your Title I status on the form. Grant benefits will be automatically applied to qualifying schools.
- If you do not receive a confirmation within three weeks, contact the appropriate scheduling office:
*Please note that your confirmation letter will contain an amount due for workshop fees, however, grant funds will be applied for the full amount and a stipend check will be issued after your visit takes place.
School Tours are free at the museum, including school tours of featured exhibitions. The Incentive Grant Program funds the $7 per student workshop fee and adult chaperones are free. Failure to follow cancellation guidelines will result in being invoiced the workshop cost with no rescheduling for the remainder of the school year.
The $200 Incentive Grant stipends may be used for:
- Bus transportation to and from the museum
- Field-trip related expenses
Incentive Grant funds may NOT be issued for:
- Groups bringing less than 25 students
- Repeat visits for the same grade within the same school year
Changes and Cancelations
To cancel or make a change to your scheduled School Tour or School Workshop, email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Please include your name, phone number, confirmation number, name of school, and date and time of your scheduled visit. Incentive Grant School Tour and Workshop cancellations must be received three or more business days before your visit to avoid being charged a fee.
All changes to date/time/theme of your school tour or workshop need to be submitted through a new Tour Request form or Workshop Request form. All School Tour or School Workshop requests, including the rescheduling of School Tours or School Workshops, require three weeks advance notice. Note: Cancellations due to inclement weather will not be charged.